17 Jan Is Men’s Hormone Replacement Therapy Right for You?
Recently, hormone replacement therapy (HRT) has been espoused by many as the key to reduce many physical issues that men experience, especially as they age. The hormone testosterone is incredibly important for a man’s optimal health. Testosterone begins to decrease as a man reaches his forties. Testosterone is mostly produced in the testicles and is responsible for producing sperm, building muscle mass, growing hair and increasing bone density in men. However, not every man has a need for HRT, so how do you know if HRT is right for you? The following list of signs and symptoms will help you decide if you’re experiencing low testosterone and if HRT may be appropriate for you.
Signs of Low Testosterone
- Lack of interest in sexual activity, as well as infertility, if attempting to have children.
- A sudden onset of continual Insomnia or other sleep disturbance.
- Experiencing emotional changes; such as sadness or depression. This can greatly affect a man’s self-esteem.
- Poor memory and an inability to concentrate, as well as other cognitive problems.
- Physical changes begin to occur; noticeable hair loss, decreasing muscle mass and breasts may become swollen, a condition called gynecomastia.
If you exhibit any of these signs or symptoms, it is time to contact your physician. Your hormone level can be measured through a simple blood. As a man, the older you are, the greater the risk that your testosterone level is lower than normal. HRT may be the proper course of treatment in such cases. Suffering from low testosterone is more than just an inconvenience though. Men with lower than normal testosterone level have a greater risk of dying from both cancer and heart disease. This is an issue more men need to take seriously.
If you have any questions about men’s health, contact NuMale Medical Center today!